Hugh Baird College

Drugs and Alcohol Awareness

Posted 14th February 2018.

Drugs and alcohol problems can affect anyone, at any time. You may not be struggling with these issues personally but a family member may be. There are many different organisations that we work in partnership with that can offer help and support. These services include:

The following poem was written by Samantha Reynolds, it demonstrates how a highly addictive drug can take over your entire life.

Hello, My Name is Drugs.

I destroy homes, tear families apart, take your children, and that’s just the start.
I’m more costly than diamonds, more costly than gold, the sorrow I bring is a sight to behold.
And if you need me, remember I’m easily found, I live all around you, in schools and in town.
I live with the rich, I live with the poor, I live down the street, and maybe next door.

My power is awesome; try me you’ll see, but if you do, you may never break free.
Just try me once and I might let you go, but try me twice, and I’ll own your soul.
When I possess you, you’ll steal and you’ll lie. You do what you have to do, just to get high.
The crimes you’ll commit, for my narcotic charms, will be worth the pleasure you’ll feel in your arms.
You’ll lie to your mother; you’ll steal from your dad, when you see their tears, you feel sad.

But you’ll forget your morals and how you were raised, I’ll be your conscious, I’ll teach you my ways.
I take kids from parents, and parents from kids, I turn people from God, and separate friends.
I’ll take everything from you, your looks and your pride, I’ll be with you always, right by your side.
You’ll give up everything…your family, your home, your friends, your money, then you’ll be alone.
I’ll take and take, until you’ll have nothing more to give. When I’m finished up with you, you’ll be lucky to live.

If you try me, be warned, this is no game. If given the chance, I’ll drive you insane.
I’ll ravish your body; I’ll control your mind. I’ll own you completely; your soul will be mine.
The nightmares I’ll give you while lying in bed, the voices you hear from inside of your head.
The sweats, the shakes, the visions you’ll see; I want you to know, these are all gifts from me.
But then it’s too late, and you’ll know in your heart, that you are mine and we shall not part.

You’ll regret that you tried me, they always do…but you came to me, not I to you.
You knew this would happen. Many times you were told, but you challenged my power, and chose to be bold.
You could have said No, and just walk away, but if you could live that day over, now what would you say?
I’ll be your master; you’ll be my slave, I’ll even go with you, when you go to your grave.

Now that you have met me, what will you do? Will you try me or not? It’s all up to you.
I can bring you more misery than words can tell. Come take my hand, I’ll take you to Hell!

This poem is by Samantha Reynolds with the original title Ms. Crystal Meth

If you have been affected by drug or alcohol misuse there is a clear message coming forward from organisations such as Princes Trust which is telling you not to give up on your dreams. Life after addiction is possible. Watch the following video with Prince’s Trust ambassador Tom Hardy and Kenny Ross (who was helped by The Trust) discuss addiction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psJcbEbxk4c

You may think that drugs don’t affect you in your local area but unfortunately these issues are widespread. Read some recent news below from Merseyside police.

https://merseyside.police.uk/news/latest-news/2017/12/cannabis-farm-discovered-in-seaforth/-

In this article police discuss how a recent raid in Seaforth saw them discover a cannabis farm. Sergeant Gary Sorrell who was part of the raid said “Cannabis cultivation by criminal gangs can cause serious harm in our communities.

This recent article provides information about how organised crime groups are exploiting vulnerable people to deal drugs in Cheshire and Merseyside. This is happening in our local area and it is affecting local communities.

https://www.merseyside.police.uk/news/latest-news/2017/12/early-morning-raids-carried-out-across-cheshire-and-merseyside/

If you feel vulnerable or targeted come to Pod or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or 101.

Complaints, Compliments or Suggestions

Pro Monitor

Please select an option to access:

I am outside of the College network

I am inside the College network

×